Thursday, January 20, 2011

Elijah's Letter

Here is my letter to Elijah. I apologize if it is a little long. But I couldn't break it up.

My dearest Elijah,

Just like in the letter to your sister I don’t know if any of the word’s I know can paint the picture of how much I love you. You are our surprise baby. Your daddy and I wanted a baby, but was told we never would have one. Then one day the Lord decided it was time to send your precious soul to earth and we were chosen to be your lucky parents.

After a few of mommies health issues and some other concerns you came into this world the most handsome baby boy I have ever seen. Right away everyone fell in love with you.

You are only 2 years old when I am writing this letter. But oh have you got your own little personality already. You are such a loving and fun little man. I enjoy your random hugs, kisses and I love you’s. You want to do everything. I absolutely love your curious spirit !!

I am writing you this letter just in case something happens to me. I never want you to wonder if Mom loved you. This is my love note to you. I want to give you a few tips for your life ahead. Let the first one be, We are not guaranteed tomorrow. Mommy doesn’t know when she will be called to Heaven, but I do know that when I die that is where I am going. And after you accept Jesus in your heart and confess your sins. You too will join me there.

Now I don’t know how tall or big you will be. But right now you are not the tallest kid in your class. Don’t let that stop you or hold you back. You can do anything you set your mind to and work hard enough at. You may not be the best at everything you try. But you can be the best you. You may not be an A student, but if you are doing your best , that is what matters. If someone picks on or teases you because of who you are, tell someone, an adult. Don’t let others opinions of you determine who you become. Remember that the person that is trying to hurt you has some kind of hurt inside them to be acting that way. Play fair, even if you loose you will know at the end of the day you did the right thing. If you see someone else getting bullied, help them. DO NOT join the others just because you don’t want to be different. Be the one who makes a difference. You never know when you might save someone’s life.

Enjoy your life in High School, this is one of the most fun times of your life. You will make friends that are there for a few years and maybe a few that last a lifetime. You will start to notice girls. OH GIRLS! Let me tell you that some girls can be mean, not only to other girls but to boys also. You may feel the pressure to date a girl because all the other boys have girlfriends. But let me tell you about dating…. The only girl you should be dating is one that you can see yourself marrying and spending the rest of your life with. That is the purpose of dating, finding your life mate. Let me also tell you that you can get a girl pregnant the first time you have sex, even if you use a condom. Ask your older sister. That is how she got here. Try not to put yourself in a position where these things can happen. Only go on dates where there are other people. Never be alone together. No matter how strong you think you are. Hormones are raging and once things get started it is hard to stop. Make it a rule that you don’t touch anything below the neck. Hold hands sure, maybe kiss and hug, but don’t go further. Put God first in your relationship and stay away from places that make it easy to get in trouble and that will go a long way to keeping you on track.

When you head off to college, remember that you are really there for learning. Not for drinking or endless parties. Although this is the time to get it out of your system. I recommend living on your own at least for a little while. It is a nice luxury. Learn to live with yourself and even though you may be alone you don’t have to be lonely. Study something you love, remember you are going to be working for most of your life so do something you enjoy.

Now if you find that special gal and you two get married. Treat her well! Put God first and then her. Remember she is your help mate not your slave. Give her the love and respect that you want. You will not always see eye to eye. But talk about things, pray about things. Work it out. Marriage is hard work but so worth it. Let her in to your heart. Share your fears and goals with her. Be her rock, but also show her emotion. There is nothing wrong with shedding a tear or two, it cleanses your soul. Cook her dinner once in a while, do some laundry, vacuum the floor. These things that may seem little to you will make a world of difference to her. Give her a back or foot rub. She will return the adoration I promise. Be a gentleman, not only to your wife but to everyone. Open the door for people. Let the little old lady go ahead of you in line. Give a smile; you never know if that is the only smile that person will see that day.

If you have kids, enjoy them. They are the best gifts from God. You will wonder how your heart opened up with all this love for such a little creature. Try to spend as much time as you can with them. Get on the floor and play cars or dolls. Take them in your lap and read them a book. Because in the blink of an eye they will be too big to do those things and then they will be gone to college. I know on those sleepless nights it seems like it will be forever before they take care of themselves. But trust me it goes to fast. And you can never get those days back. Remember that God is first, then your wife, then your kids. With out the previous two you wouldn't have the kids. Time becomes premium after you have children. Take the time to connect with your wife. Kids want to see that their parents love each other and feel secure that their parents love them. Show them what a real man is like. Don’t be afraid to discipline your children. They may say they hate you, but they really don’t. They are just upset and will thank you in the end for being their parent not their buddy. Teach them manners, people were so surprised when you were 2 and you could say please, thank you and welcome. If you can talk to can use manners. No one wants to be around bratty kids.

I pray that I am around to give this to you when you are older. And I am sure there is so much more I want to say to you. But if my chance never comes. Read this and know that I love you, your Daddy loves you and God loves you. You were a wanted baby and a cherished child. You are so special and will do great things. And if I do get to hand you this letter, its ok to just hug me and not get all girly mushy with me.

Your Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment